Posted: September 14th, 2017
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE ALL QUESTIONS
PLEASE PROVIDE FULL WORKED SOLUTIONS TO ALL QUESTIONS
PLEASE ENSURE YOUR ANSWERS ARE CLEARLY PRESENTED
Deadline for receipt of coursework is Friday 21st August 2015
Resit Coursework: Finite element analysis of compression test
Simulation: Simulate compression test of a steel specimen with the material properties, dimensions
dimensions and test parameters given below. Attention on the unit system used!
Material properties: Modulus of elasticity: 210 GPa
Poisson’s ratio: 0.3
Flow curve: 260 + 20 (e p)0.1 MPa according to Ludwik’s expression
s f = s Y,0 + K (e
Test parameters: Bottom clamp is stationary. Velocity of the top clamp is v = 1 mm/s. Compressive
displacement of the top clamp is 5 mm.
1) Give the figures of von Mises stress distributions at 1 % and 40 % compression (of 5 mm), and
briefly discuss the differences observed
2) Plot and analyse the force-displacement curve for the top clamp
3) Briefly describe the effect of velocity of the clamp (v) on the simulation results [10 marks]
4) Briefly discuss the effects of mesh (element) size on the simulation results (force-displacement
curve, von Mises stress distribution, convergence, etc.) (You might build your model with various
5) Briefly explain the difference between 2D and 3D modelling (You might build 2D and 3D models
with identical simulation parameters)
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.